0

For the Mr. & Mrs.

As wedding season came around this year, a co-worker asked if I would create a wedding card for them. Of Course!!!! So, I thought of what I usually see when it comes to wedding cards…and did something different.

All I saw were doves, rings, bouquets, black/white and bells. I did, however, see something that sparked my interest-the use of ribbon to make a train of a bridal gown. “That’s cool”, I thought. So, I went from there.

Ingredients:

  • Bazzill cardstock (Dotted Swiss Sunset Rose)
  • Recollection cardstock (tan color from the seaside collection)
  • Vellum (clear)
  • 2.25 inch Satin Ribbon (black and white)
  • 1.5 inch Organza Ribbon (sheer white)
  • .25 inch Ribbon (blue)
  • Petite Swirl Rose (pink)
  • Close To My Heart ink (chocolate and brown paper bag)
  • rhinestones (3mm)
  • tiny beads (blue and silver)
  • hot glue
  • Scotch permanent clear glue pen
  • needle and white thread
  • ultra fine diamond glitter

I started off by drawing a silhouette of a bride holding a bouquet and a posing groom onto some tan cardstock. Next, I used my Close To My Heart inks to shade in the cardstock. I wanted to make the silhouettes resemble the skin tone of the actual couple. Since I do not have those cool ink blending tools, I used a makeup sponge….whatever works and gives you the results that you want 🙂

 

I started creating the bride first. I thoughtwp_20160706_23_22_36_pro she would be the most challenging. I went with a mermaid style dress. I mean who doesn’t love a good curve hugging/creating kind of dress?! I sure do. That was the style of my dress. Using the white satin ribbon, I pleated the top of the dress to help create a lifelike bust. I ended up using a small flat iron to iron the pleats down and make them stay. Next, I began to wrap the ribbon around the silhouette to get that rushing affect. As I went, I made a stitch here and there to secure it in place. When I got to the bottom of the dress, I created some pick ups and stitched them as I went along as well. I really had to get my David’s Bridal on to type this portion of this post 😀 Now, what’s a bride without a little bling glam?! I gave her a belt using the sheer, white organza ribbon. I threw some rhinestones on the belt, and the dress, to help jazz it up. Doesn’t she just look amazing? Yaaassss!!

wp_20160707_23_04_58_proOn to the groom we go. The groom actually turned out to be more of a challenge than the bride. Since the silhouette that I chose had a bent arm, I had to try to create natural looking creases at the arm folds. Also, each part of the tux had to be made with a separate piece of material–8 pieces total, which includes 2 pieces for the white shirt. I took care to add “seams”, black buttons (rhinestones colored black) and a tie. I chose a blue tie because of the wedding colors.

Bringing it all together. I put the bride and groom side by side. I noticed that the bride needed something blue to kind of match her groom. I found some small beads that were close to the same color as the groom’s tie. I added one silver bead in the middle for a diamond look. But wait! What is a bride without a bouquet to hold? I used two petite swirl ribbon roses for the bouquet. I had to stitch them in place to make sure that they stay exactly where I wanted them. For the card placement, I originally wanted the couple to be placed next to each other. But due to the volume of the dress, the groom had to be placed slightly behind the bride. I used hot glue to secure them to the card base, Bazzill cardstock. I used their embossed cardstock, dotted swiss, in Sunset Rose.

For the sentiment, I came up with something sweet to say. I then typed it up using a nice script font (in dark pink) and printed it onto the clear vellum. I adhered it to the card using a little clear glue. To complete the sentiment, I sprayed the interior of the card with some gloss and then quickly blew some ultra fine diamond glitter on to it. Wow! What a beautiful sparkle it gave the card. Not too much, just a dusting. Perfect!

I created my basic black envelope from a heavyweight black construction paper. Well not quite basic. I had to make the envelope stretch. So, I made the sides of the card using an accordion fold. Then I used a gold paint pen to write “Mr. & Mrs. Walker” in my best brush script lettering.

The card was a big HIT!!!

 

Until next time….Keep Crafting!